Poundworld In Administration

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Poundworld In Administration

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 am I think bargain B's is the same company as poundworld.
Yes, think it is - it was originally called Bargain buys...
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Arggh !!!! Closing down sale now on at Stevenston X, folks. Grab your bargains while you can !!!!!!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Sorry , a bit of topic-House of Fraser are in trouble apparently .
I remember my mother dragging me around 2 big stores in Glasgow when i was little. Would it be possible it would have been House of Fraser and was the other big shop called Arnotts or something like that.?Thanks.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Maybe Debenhams(spelling) that just doesn't look right.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I might be wrong bonzo but dont think i have heard of Debenhams until living in England. The shops i'm going on about was posh and i remember a food hall about 1965/1966.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Afore my time I'm afraid Brian :mrgreen:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Lewis's then Brian?

Lewis’s department store (Mirrorpix)
Glasgow
Lewis’s

FOR generations of Glasgow shoppers the Argyle Street store was the place to go. The huge art deco building was reputed to be the biggest purpose-built department store in the UK when it opened in 1929.

Glasgow could already boast Europe’s first ever covered shopping centre in nearby Argyll Arcade, the Parisian-style shoppers paradise, where traders had operated since 1828.

Meanwhile Pettigrew & Stephens on Sauchiehall Street was also an early trail blazer and popular with Glaswegians.

Like many other department stores, the festive period was when Lewis’s really captured the public imagination, with families flocking to the city centre just to see their elaborate window displays.

However, in the 1950s they added another lure to attract youngsters with the opening of a menagerie on the top floor that included parrots and other small animals.

By the late 1980s times and tastes had changed and the store had fallen on difficult times. It went into administration in 1991 and most of the building is now occupied by Debenhams.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

brian f wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm Sorry , a bit of topic-House of Fraser are in trouble apparently .
I remember my mother dragging me around 2 big stores in Glasgow when i was little. Would it be possible it would have been House of Fraser and was the other big shop called Arnotts or something like that.?Thanks.
Heard they are closing House of Fraser in Edinburgh but Glasgow is spared the cull (daughters will be happy). Probably Lewis you are thinking of which was just up from where the St Enoch Centre is.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:27 pm I might be wrong bonzo but dont think i have heard of Debenhams until living in England. The shops i'm going on about was posh and i remember a food hall about 1965/1966.
Lewis’s in Argyle Street, McDonald Wyllie and Lockhead in Buchanan Street (now Frasers) and Arnott Simpson in Argyle Street are the most likely Brian, but there were other smaller shops up nearer the Tron like Rita’s.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

'New Look' also running up debts. Must be why the staff in Saltcoats look so sour just now. Who would want to come from a retail background.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

brian f wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm Sorry , a bit of topic-House of Fraser are in trouble apparently .
Yes Brian there was a shop called "Arnotts" I think it was originally called "Arnott Simpsons", it was situated on Argyle Street between St Enoch Square and Jamaica Street. There was also a big Chemist shop now out of business called "Timothy White and Taylor" a "Boots of its day.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

meekan wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 am
Yes Brian there was a shop called "Arnotts" I think it was originally called "Arnott Simpsons", it was situated on Argyle Street between St Enoch Square and Jamaica Street. There was also a big Chemist shop now out of business called "Timothy White and Taylor" a "Boots of its day.
Meekan- Speaking to my Mother the other night she confirmed it was Arnott Simpsons which was her favourite along side Lewis and a store i have never heard of DALYS.