They're back!!!!!!!!!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

They're back!!!!!!!!!

Post by glenshena »

It's lovely to feel the heat of the sun again, but with it unfortuanetly come the moskitos. Me and my 4 yearold grandaughter have already been bitten. Just yesterday and the day before. Thank goodness for calamine lotion, my first important buy when I come to Scotland. It is not available in Italy but for me it's the only thing that works and the grandchildren love it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: They're back!!!!!!!!!

Post by brian f »

glenshena - That made me think so i googled moskitos v midges .

https://www.smidgeup.com/midges/mosquitoes/

I miss the midges.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

You can get Calamine in cream form now.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Mossies are feart fae midgies :wink:
https://goo.gl/images/oiFEaX
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

bonzo wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 pm Mossies are feart fae midgies :wink:
If I get bit by a mozzie I put vinegar on it - the bite, not the mozzie. :roll: :lol:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I remember getting covered in calamine lotion when i was about 6 or seven as somebody in the hoose had chickenpox. Cant remember it for a sting. Was told going find a dockem leaf -and it always worked :lol:
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

sweet caroline wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:01 pm You can get Calamine in cream form now.

SC
Thanks, I'll look out for it next visit. I'll try our local supermarket today for the protective wipes. They really work.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:47 pm I remember getting covered in calamine lotion when i was about 6 or seven as somebody in the hoose had chickenpox. Cant remember it for a sting. Was told going find a dockem leaf -and it always worked :lol:
That reminds me of a time and a similar age. I was playing on the terracing at Ardeer thistle. There was a group of us and we were rolling down the slope at the back of the terrace I rolled right into a big patch of stingy nettles ohya.....
Now keep in mind I was about 6 so I was wearing shorts and barlinnie blacks. I was head to toe in nettle stings, running hame screaming like a banshee. When I got hame my maw was trying to put calamine lotion on the stings. I was screaming "don't touch me don't touch me" while my maw was shouting at me to "be at peace" think I ended up getting my erse skelpt as well :lol: and then covered in the lotion tough love right enough //funny
Those wimin were in the nip.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Poor you. It's bad enough to get one nettle sting but to be covered from head to toe must be horrendous. We had a lot of nettles in the back field where the British Legion was and I remember being stung once or twice while playing at rounders but we soon learned to avoid them. I've heard about using a dochen leaf but have never used one. Unfortunately we have discovered one or two plants now in our garden in Italy. (Thought it was just a Scottish plant.) :(
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

When living in Port Hedland, our neighbour an old bush truckie gave me a great tip - Vicks rub for insect bites! It contains Eucalyptus oil which removes the heat which, in turn, causes the itch.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

We just don't sit out in the patio at dusk. :roll:
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Jim McCreadie wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 pm When living in Port Hedland, our neighbour an old bush truckie gave me a great tip - Vicks rub for insect bites! It contains Eucalyptus oil which removes the heat which, in turn, causes the itch.
Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try.