Snow Joke

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Snow Joke

Post by bonzo »

Mrs bonzo was in asda in Irvine this afternoon and talking to a lady she knows who works on the checkout, she told her they got a delivery of bread at 11am this morning and the shelves were empty by mid afternoon. People going away with 4,5 or 6 loaves at a time :smt102. The birds will be well fed next week :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I think Nicky doesn't see the sense in sending out hgvs if they are only going to be stuck on the motorways. We don't have enough equipment to cope with extra falls of snow and its not typical so no point in investing in extra snowploughs. Regarding panic buying well folk are daft and that is an unfortunate fact. Its not all bad some folk might actually buy wholemeal bread instead of that white stuff and begin a healthier diet. By the way the house is freezing apart from the living room.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

5siamese7 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:26 pm
bonzo wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm Never mind the gas running out, the river Irvine has froze at the low green (something I can't remember seeing in 27 years living in Irvine)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2ypmWoLx7au3jdKw2
And the darts are cancelled :(
Amazing photo Bonzo must be a slow moving current there.
It's just above the weir so aye its usually pretty still, but I cannae think of it freezing in my time in Irvine.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:46 pm Viv, thank you for your kind words. Its these condensing boilers that stop working because the drainage system freezes up apparently from a lack of insulation in the drainage pipe. My pipes have insulation but one inch from the house isn't. I guess i'll have to put an electric blanket on the bed tonight or maybe a crock water bottle. I kept them in case we go back to year zero. With no central heating its no joke going to the loo especially with a plastic toilet seat. Anyway I detect a wee bit of warming and hopefully no frost to-night.
Read during the week that if you pour boiling water over the back pipe to do with a boiler, it gets it restarted.

Still say TESCO should have a stock of bags. Imagine if you are elderly and have to carry a bunch of cans.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

I am enjoying some of the humorous posts. As for some of the alleged more serious contributions , some of them are drivel, and others politically motivated.i had to check my calendar in order to ascertain that April fools day had not arrived early. I have driven every day locally without the need for tow trucks, ploughs or any other device. I might as well have packed a daisy chain, for all the good snow chains would have been.Good old dependable gritters have sufficed.Someone posted, how did we win two world wars? It was because of the tenacity and humour of our forebears , who got on with it and would not give up. I seriously doubt if we would win a third, God forbid !.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Exactly. We would never win a 3rd with your "stay in the hoose" outlook. :roll:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

ehm your forgetting naebody is winning the 3rd we aw go up in a mushroom cloud :mrgreen:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

That's right. Never forget what Albert Einstein said after he realised what he had done.
'The fourth world war will be fought with sticks and stones.'
JD.

We'd better get back on topic. Don't forget, Meg's retired noo and has got nothin' to do any more but sit and watch what we're a' gettin' up tae. 8)
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Vivc113, Ithink you may have misread my post. I did not advocate sittin in the hoose all day, on the contrary I stated that I was out regularly, and driving during the much discussed severe weather occurrence. There was no appreciable disruption locally, I did however heed the broadcast warnings, and did not travel to areas which were deemed hazardous
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Chicken soup the best thing to ward off the cold so I took myself off to the local supermarket which was very busy. Anyway returned with a free range bird and decided to clean it out, hang the campalabacter it will not survive in these temperature. Any way the kitchen soon warmed up with the oven being on and maybe I was sort of in shock from the cold misery of yesterday that I enjoyed a magnum ice cream. Viv you cannae pour boiling water on a frozen pipe, you will crack it. Warm water perhaps but still risky. Looks like I've got the Dunkirk spirit or something similar.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Well Bill this was a plumber posting this advice onto Facebook.

Regarding soup: Thai chicken and lemongrass is my new fave. You can get it in Sainsbury. Very spicy.