tongue

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

tongue

Post by 5siamese7 »

I like to try new foods but thinking back to when I was a kid the food you had at home kind of influenced your eating habits. Tongue was never mentioned in our house and I had never tasted it until I was working late one time and had a meal in Afrika House and I remarked that this meat was lovely and what is it? Incredulous looks when I was informed that it was tongue. Well when I got home I said to my dad I had tongue for supper and it was lovely. Well what a look of total disgust on his face, he said I've seen too many tongues. Turns out that when he was young man he had worked as a cowman and in case you don't know cows are forever licking their backsides.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: tongue

Post by morag »

5siamese7 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm I like to try new foods but thinking back to when I was a kid the food you had at home kind of influenced your eating habits. Tongue was never mentioned in our house and I had never tasted it until I was working late one time and had a meal in Afrika House and I remarked that this meat was lovely and what is it? Incredulous looks when I was informed that it was tongue. Well when I got home I said to my dad I had tongue for supper and it was lovely. Well what a look of total disgust on his face, he said I've seen too many tongues. Turns out that when he was young man he had worked as a cowman and in case you don't know cows are forever licking their backsides.
Was a fave of my mum's, never did like it, preferred gammon.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I actually like Tongue but must admit had never considered where the cows tongue might have been. I will just think now that it all those nasty germs were killed off during processing. Don't see Tongue here very often in Deli Departments.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Wish I could stop eating processed meats as all the scientists say its not good for your gut, but think I would kill if I couldn't get an occasional roll in corned beef and tomato.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Gadz I couldnae eat something that came out a cows mouth, I'll just have a boiled egg instead.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I take it then Bonzo you've never heard a chicken fart.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm I like to try new foods but thinking back to when I was a kid the food you had at home kind of influenced your eating habits. Tongue was never mentioned in our house and I had never tasted it until I was working late one time and had a meal in Afrika House and I remarked that this meat was lovely and what is it? Incredulous looks when I was informed that it was tongue. Well when I got home I said to my dad I had tongue for supper and it was lovely. Well what a look of total disgust on his face, he said I've seen too many tongues. Turns out that when he was young man he had worked as a cowman and in case you don't know cows are forever licking their backsides.
Maybe your dad developed a wee bit of an irrational phobia from that Bill.

I really enjoy an Ox Tongue sandwich as the taste is almost as unique as Haggis. Not sure about Baillie's Butcher's in Dockhead street but I think Bicket's still have it on sale as a sliced cold meat.

Not into Lunch Tongue though (the pork version) as it tastes totally bland in comparison.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Well if your watching 60 coos licking their bums everyday I think that would scunner most folk from eating tongue. I think you are entirely correct regarding the flavour of beef tongue from a traditional butchers. Thing is the latest cancer scare regarding refined meats may have a knock on effect and maybe the sale of such meats will decline but I guess most folk are conservative in their diet and will continue in the same old way.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Remember the boss at Baillie's butcher's shop in Raise street, Jimmy Brown from New England Road back in the late fifties cooking the tongues and placing them in a press - I'm thinking overnight in the fridge. I never lasted there long - had to get to the fitba' on a Saturday afternoon.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 pm Well if your watching 60 coos licking their bums everyday I think that would scunner most folk from eating tongue.
Perhaps an understandable wee phobia there then Bill.

In my experience, Ox (beef) tongues were always thoroughly scrubbed under cold running water, then when first brought to the boil all of the initial stock was discarded and replaced. Also, after cooking for a good 3-4 hours the outer skin peels off very easily.

Aye Hughie, using a press (or similar and suitably sized round container/pot) for tongues was the norm. A couple of ox tongues would be squeezed into the press heel to toe fashion, then some of the stock was mixed with gelatin powder and added to the mix. Refrigerating overnight then allowed the gelatin to do it's job.

When I worked in the butcher's in Stevenston throughout the 80's etc we always pickled them in brine and sold quite a few uncooked to customer's who knew exactly what they were doing with them.

Nowadays, I think most retail outlet's who stock it as a cooked meat will be buying it in in large tin's, but that's not to say that it isn't a quality product they're selling.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I can remember when they had them in the shop windows of butcher's shops and a girl
friend of mine said imagine French kissing that.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:44 pm I can remember when they had them in the shop windows of butcher's shops and a girl
friend of mine said imagine French kissing that.
I see she wasn't shy, Bill. :lol: