BREXIT

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: BREXIT

Post by tapnagol »

John Donnelly writes that we were sold a pig in a poke. I voted to remain in the referendum, but I am not a 'remoaner'. Of course I was not aware of all the nuances of the terms of leaving. I cast my vote, albeit in ignorance that the status quo was the better option. I did not give the alternative option much thought but I knew that like most divorces it might just prove difficult. Having said that, the electorate of the United Kingdom was given a mandate via a Referendum whether to remain or leave the EU, no ifs no buts. I chose to remain. Consequently, the result was announced and I cannot deny that I was disappointed. A democratically elected government had given as promised , a referendum to decide whether to leave or stay. Simply that. It then began to appear ah but we were not asked this or we were not told that , the list is endless. I did not hear these objections prior to the vote being taken. This was because like myself most remainders thought that the result was in the bag. How wrong we were. However, I resent the sour grapes attitude of some of my fellow remainers who want to shift the goalposts mid game. I am not stupid, nor do I believe as implied, that those who chose to leave are stupid. These voters simply excercised their right to vote as they wished, in a democratic fashion and neither I nor they were sold a pig in a poke . I referred to the difficulties that I suspected would arise, I did not however suspect that it would be as frustratingly difficult as is the case, this in no small measure caused by the antics of the Non elected bureaucrats of the EU. I wold entreat all fair minded people to get behind our Elected government to carry out YOUR mandate to leave the EU. May I add, with the best deal possible.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Yes let's get on with it, we were asked, we gave our reply, and although I voted to remain the brexit voter's won the vote. So let's support our government in getting a deal which is favorable to all sides. I am confident enough in this great country of ours that what ever the future holds we will prosper. (we've never died a winter yet) This great country prospered before joining and will no doubt prosper after leaving.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This sums this whole brexit sham up, "taking back our identity" was one of their big shouts. Now they are awarding the making of the new passports to a French company :smt102. Absolute clowns.
Those wimin were in the nip.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

It's called competition and WE need to be more competitive or pay a higher price for goods we buy whether it's passports or something else. I would hope that British companies were asked to tender. Maybe the order was placed as a continuation of contract for European passports. But I agree we should be supporting British businesses.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

bonzo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:16 am This sums this whole brexit sham up, "taking back our identity" was one of their big shouts. Now they are awarding the making of the new passports to a French company :smt102. Absolute clowns.
Mon Dieu !!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

meekan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:11 am It's called competition and WE need to be more competitive or pay a higher price for goods we buy whether it's passports or something else. I would hope that British companies were asked to tender. Maybe the order was placed as a continuation of contract for European passports. But I agree we should be supporting British businesses.
De la rue - with a base in the north east of England - are the manufacturers or publishers of our passports at the moment - seems like 120 jobs will be lost in the UK when the Franco-Dutch company take over.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Like I said I hope British companies were invited to tender for the work.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

meekan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 pm Like I said I hope British companies were invited to tender for the work.
Meekan-Andrea Leadsom and Theresa May have "History"- I will be astonished if De la rue- lost out..
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

meekan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 pm Like I said I hope British companies were invited to tender for the work.
De la rue are a British company Meekan- they started out in Guernsey over 200 years ago. I did some technical training for them a few years ago and was amazed at their range of products. The Guardian did a piece on them yesterday -

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... t-contract
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Meg wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 am
De la rue are a British company Meekan- they started out in Guernsey over 200 years ago. I did some technical training for them a few years ago and was amazed at their range of products. The Guardian did a piece on them yesterday -

Meg,
I understand fully that they are a British company but were they asked to tender for the new passport contract? Or was the contract just awarded willynilly. What was the criteria used in awarding this contract? If it was costs then we may have to agree to pay a little more to keep future contracts at home. Contracts awarded according to European rules should not favour the awarding country, ask the French, Spanish, German etc governments if that is how they operate.
I remember years ago we were urged by our government to buy British but it seems that all that has changed. Our power companies are all owned by non British countries, as is Scotrail. Our transport manufacturing companies are all owned by foreign companies. We the British nation need to look after our own jobs by buying British if we can find anything truly of British manufacture to buy.
Incidentally I read in the Daily Mail today (not my paper) that the French company who are favoured to be awarded with this contract are in financial trouble and are part owned by the French government. What are the rules about that?
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Why would a company be asked to tender? Behave, most of us don't know what's going on and its getting more muddled all the time. I know one thing the folk with money will look after each other. Been going on for years .I'm fed up I think I will stay in the Ritz hotel after all its dead cheap and the plebs can't afford it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

meekan wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 pm
Meg wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 am

Meg,
I understand fully that they are a British company but were they asked to tender for the new passport contract? Or was the contract just awarded willynilly. What was the criteria used in awarding this contract?
As far as I am aware, it was just solely on cost, the cheaper bid was from the Franco Dutch company - one of the arguements for leaving the EU I thought. Oh well....