Women's International Soccer - Aussie Matildas vs Brazil

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Women's International Soccer - Aussie Matildas vs Brazil

Post by Jim McCreadie »

In the past four days the Matildas have twice beaten Brazil and 3 times in a little over a month //funny . Both games were sell-outs; albeit at grounds with capacities of around 25,000 but sell-outs none the less. They also won last month's Tournament of Nations in the U.S. and now are in the world's top 5 women's teams with wins over Brazil, Japan and U.S. I thoroughly enjoyed both games having thought I'd watch them as I had "nothing better to do!". It was a pleasure to see both games being played well and a traditional powerhouse of the game being outplayed. Brazilian "star" and leading goal scorer "Marta" wouldn't shake hands at the final whistles :roll:

24-year old Sam Kerr Is the Matildas all-time leading goal scorer in the U.S. National Women's Soccer League and last weekend was named Player's Player of the Year. She's also a finalist for 2017 FIFA Female Player of the Year. She started her sporting career playing youth Aussie Rules then switched to soccer. Her father, Roger, played and coached AFL in WA while brother, Daniel won a premiership with the West Coast Eagles during the glory days in the mid 2000s.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Women's International Soccer - Aussie Matildas vs Brazil

Post by gnyaff »

Great game Jim, I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I agreed with everything you said about the match. The one other statistic that surprised me was that apart from one it was the highest attendance for any women's sporing event in Australia. The one which beat it was the final of the Women's Hockey at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. Though that would have been a sell-out no matter who was in the Olympic final.

Wee Boney
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Cannot get into most football matches from our lges here, never mind women's fitba. See they are drawing in decent crowds though & that a member of England's team has signed for Barcelona.
The BBC especially are giving it more airtime ( cheaper alternative to losing, golf, football, horse racing, formula 1 etc). But it comes across as poor fare.
To give it a little perspective, the Aussie ladies, playing with most of their main team, lost to Newcastle jets under 16s boys team last yr 7-0, so it can't be of a great standard.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

" poor fare " " ..... can't be of a great standard." Really? You must be viewing different matches than I!

A better perspective is their WORLD ranking in the top 5? 'Nuff sed!!
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Jim,

Yes it was a great game, better than a lot I've watched in the men's games. It has just been announced that the FFA Cup Final due to be played at AAMI Stadium in Melbourne on 22nd November has been cancelled and the Matildas will be playing China there instead. They will also be playing them again on 26th Nov. at the Kardina Stadium in Geelong. That's Hughie's old stomping ground, I wouldn't be surprised to see him running the line in that one.
There is a chance that Australia if they keep up the good form could be in for selection for the Women's World Cup in 2023.
To also put into perspective how good they are. The ground they played at was the home of the men's team the Newcastle Jets. The attendance on Wednesday night was better than any home game the Jets could manage in the past three seasons.

Wee Boney P.S. Do you get the Saturday night live games from the English Premier League on the SBS Channel?
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Aussie ladies do it AGAIN to Brazil - 4 in-a-row!
The Matildas have reinforced their supremacy over Brazil with a 3-1 win to open the defence of their Tournament of Nations crown with a bang.
Two first-half goals from corner kicks and a Samantha Kerr stunner booked Australia their fourth consecutive win over the South Americans.
Brazil had entered the match in Kansas City in form and determined for revenge, unbeaten in its past 12 outings since losing to the Matildas in Newcastle last September, a stretch that included nine straight victories in its Copa America Femenina campaign earlier this year.
END QUOTE
In addition to her nomination for 2017 FIFA Female Player of the Year, Sam Kerr has been nominated for the 2018 Award.

This from a country with a total population of 24 million, which is a mere 3 times that of London's (8 million) and our national sports, ahead of football in popularity/participation, are AFL (Aussie Rules Football) and cricket.

Tournament of Nations matches are broadcast on Fox Sports! C'arn the Matildas
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."