Bird Habits !!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bird Habits !!

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 am Wondering what folk think of this one.

A new bird has arrived. Calling it "Honey". Got it feeding from my hand. However it is having nights sleeping outside the house on the light outside, where it could be spotted by cats. It is not doing this every night, but it is odd behaviour (??)

Found it outside at 0630 hours today.
Pigeons have poor night sight. Honey is staying near an easy food source and leaving going to roost too late to find a safe place. Hence why its using the light.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Thing is. It must have had a home before now. It is just new to the rest of the gang. Just a few weeks coming round.

Who knows... It has made an awful mess of my light which I will have to clean tomorrow. Grr.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

My next door neighbour bought two packets of Bird seed to feed the starlings. Seemingly the RSPCA want you to count them as they are diminishing rapidly.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Interesting.

Got the birds on the hot cross buns today.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

glenshena wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:29 am My next door neighbour bought two packets of Bird seed to feed the starlings. Seemingly the RSPCA want you to count them as they are diminishing rapidly.
Starlings can be found roosting in the boat shed at Ardrossan harbour. Its a great sight watching them fly around in a flock of about 300 before they drop down to roost. When I was a lad hundreds would roost in the reed beds at Lochcraigs. Thousands roosted in the I.C.I. Their decline is a bit of a mystery. Hope they find the cause.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Jings viv you're going to be the only person with type 2 doos :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

bonzo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:25 am Jings viv you're going to be the only person with type 2 doos :lol:
//funny Very good (!!)
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

My neighbour has resumed putting out nuts and other stuff for the birds. Amazing how quickly they came back. Loads of tits. Great and blue which is to be expected but also some long tailed tits that are not members of the tit family and exhibit less aggressive behaviour. A single bullfinch also came back, gosh I hope he finds a mate they are so lovely and it would be great if they continue to breed in the local nature reserve.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

A man was “spooked” when a severed pigeon’s head fell to the ground right in front of him from a seemingly empty sky as he left a well-known city museum.
Peregrine Falcons are in town...

Source -CEN.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Strange things happen in nature.
Not quite the same, but some years ago, on a beautiful summers day, I nearly had a heart attack when something freezing cold fell on me. I picked it up and it was a dead bee.
JD.