roundabouts

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

roundabouts

Post by Catherine Belle »

I must confess I'm at a loss. Last time I was home my sister tried to direct me.. it did not go well.....she learned the correct way....
Should say I was home many years ago and did just fine. Maybe things have changed since then? Any tips about roundabouts from the wrong side of the road will be deeply appreciated
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: roundabouts

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Catherine.
Does this mean you're planning to visit soon?
JD.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I think the most dangerous roundabout I have come across is the one just before Morrisons at Stevenson., coming from Saltcoats. Perhaps it is because I am used to driving on the right side of the road, but I never know which lane to get into. There is always a lot of traffic there at any time of day and although I like Morrisons supermarket very much I prefer to avoid that area and not risk an accident.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hahaha yes that roundabout can be a bit like the wacky races at times.
Those wimin were in the nip.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I think Catherine will get a shock when she next comes over, the traffic has increased so much in that area. And like me if she usually drives on the right it will be twice as difficult. But the Kilwinning/Irvine roundabout is also very busy and I think she may find driving in Ayrshire now very much different when she was here many years ago.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

John Donnelly wrote:Hi Catherine.
Does this mean you're planning to visit soon?
JD.
September...maybe :wink:
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

glenshena wrote:I think Catherine will get a shock when she next comes over, the traffic has increased so much in that area. And like me if she usually drives on the right it will be twice as difficult. But the Kilwinning/Irvine roundabout is also very busy and I think she may find driving in Ayrshire now very much different when she was here many years ago.
Hi Glenshea.
I was home 3 years ago and found things very different from the last time I was home which was in the early eighties. At that time I drove from Stevenston to England to visit my brother and drove all the way without incident. Of course I was the only one in the car who could drive at that time which meant no back seat drivers to point out my mistakes...lol. Three years ago I was with my sister who incidentally learned to drive in Scotland before she emigrated to Canada.
Originally, we planned to share the driving but she felt compelled to guide me through the roundabouts...did not go well. She ended up driving for the rest of the trip (for safety's sake) Long story short, I still haven't learned to get around a roundabout without cars behind me honking like crazy...:( Must mention that we have a few roundabouts here which I encounter regularly on my way to work...no problem from this side of the road. On the whole, however, we use jug handles here...seems to work out well.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

'Jug handles' Catherine ???
I'm afraid you're going to have to explain that one.
JD.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Easy peasy, John. On most NJ highways you are not allowed to turn left or do a U turn from the left lane. If you want to do that, before you come to the next light get into the right hand lane, soon there will be a sign telling you to exit. You will turn into a semi circle with three lanes. If you want to U turn stay to the left. If you want to turn left stay in the middle lane if you want to get back on the highway stay to the right. There will be a traffic light. On coming traffic has the right of way...then you are good to go.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Thanks Catherine.
I know the system. I've seen them here in NL. They're common in Spain.
JD.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Obviously they are not called "Jug Handles" so what then?
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Catherine, hi.
They're not really common here. They tend to be like yours, on busy main roads where it would be dangerous to cross over the oncoming traffic. The examples I can think of are where there are no traffic lights. Mostly, left turns across busy roads are controlled by lights.
We don't have a special name for them.
JD.