roundabouts

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: roundabouts

Post by Catherine Belle »

Thanks, John. Still doesn't help me with how to maneover a roundabout though?? :oops:
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Aaahh Catherine,
you're not going to let me off the hook are you? :(
I tried hard to keep away from an answer. Unfortunately, there is no good answer that I can think of. Even common sense does not help as the eejits who design these things are beyond understanding.
We have one here in Delft at a 4-way crossing in the middle of the city. I'll try to describe it.
As you approach it, the first thing you meet is the zebra pedestrian crossing where pedestrians have right of way - in both directions. Next is the cycle path, where cyclists have right of way - from both directions. Next is the motorised traffic where the traffic coming from the left has right of way. Then there are the trams which cut through the middle of the whole shebang and are controlled by traffic lights.
Advice for dealing with this one? Get out and walk. :lol:
JD.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Catherine, just do what Bobby and I do, use public transport!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

We have hook turns in Melbourne's CBD. Used to be only five intersections way back when we arrived in 1964 but I think there are more now. It's a way of giving the trams a clear run through intersections - works well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_turn

Mr McGoogle will tell you the correct way to negotiate a UK roundabout, Catherine. :wink:
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

John Donnelly wrote:Aaahh Catherine,
you're not going to let me off the hook are you? :(
I tried hard to keep away from an answer. Unfortunately, there is no good answer that I can think of. Even common sense does not help as the eejits who design these things are beyond understanding.
We have one here in Delft at a 4-way crossing in the middle of the city. I'll try to describe it.
As you approach it, the first thing you meet is the zebra pedestrian crossing where pedestrians have right of way - in both directions. Next is the cycle path, where cyclists have right of way - from both directions. Next is the motorised traffic where the traffic coming from the left has right of way. Then there are the trams which cut through the middle of the whole shebang and are controlled by traffic lights.
Advice for dealing with this one? Get out and walk. :lol:
JD.
Thanks JD Never meant to put you on the spot. I was hoping someone from Stinston where roundabouts prevail would help me out. lol!
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

bobnetau wrote:Catherine, just do what Bobby and I do, use public transport!
Not an option unfortunately, my big sis insists on a car while we are home... :roll: But thanks for the input, Netta...hope you and yours are well1 :)
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Hughie wrote:
Mr McGoogle will tell you the correct way to negotiate a UK roundabout, Catherine. :wink:
Thanks Hughie. :)
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

It may be a good idea to bring a small Canadian flag with you, if thats where you live, and attach it to your cars back window. They probably sell adhesive ones too. Then other drivers will notice you are not from here and will be more tolerant. :P
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Catherine and all other nervous roundabouters.
To be serious for a minute, If I get into difficulties about where I'm going on a roundabout, I go round again, - very carefully, staying in lane till I get my orientation. I've been known to go round twice and more in the camper in the middle of some strange city which I have managed not to avoid, in the depths of darkest South of France, Spain or Germany. I call it the Mainwaring trick, - as in 'don't panic, Mr. M .... .'
The final resort is just to take an easy exit and turn round and try again. It helps enormously to have a second pair of eyes beside you as you're concentrating more on the traffic around you and less on the road signs.
The good news is that we've always managed to survive and find our way home, - up till now.
JD.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

glenshena wrote:It may be a good idea to bring a small Canadian flag with you, if thats where you live, and attach it to your cars back window. They probably sell adhesive ones too. Then other drivers will notice you are not from here and will be more tolerant. :P
Good idea , Glenshea! :D BUT...I'd need two flags ..a USA and a Canadian (sister lives in Canada. I'm USA) :)
Last edited by Catherine Belle on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

John Donnelly wrote:....... It helps enormously to have a second pair of eyes beside you as you're concentrating more on the traffic around you and less on the road signs.
JD.
Thanks JD but I do better by myself...it doesn't help when a backseat driver is yelling, "watch out! You are doing it wrong!!"....Said from experience. :( I do agree with you that going around the circle again does help. Been there. Done that.
catherine