Retiring

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Retiring

Post by Catherine Belle »

I'm finally retiring at the end of June. I've been working steadily from the age of 15 when I left school.
Worked at lots of jobs including non paying ones while my kids were in school..class mother to 3 of them, PTA President, Ways and Means, (heading fund raisers) and lots of paying jobs here and in Scotland. My latest job has lasted 34 years and while I am sad to leave, I'm tired. :( It sucks getting old! Eh no? Just wondering if anyone regrets retiring...I sure do.
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Retiring

Post by Retsum »

I wish you well in your retirement. I don't regret retiring. I found it opened up opportunities to do things I never imagined I could do. One thing I found weird: going out for a walk in the morning and seeing people dashing of to work - many not looking particularly happy. It is a nice feeling to wake up in the morning and thinking there is nothing I need to do other than what I want to do.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Thank you Retsum for your reply. From your lips to God's ears! :)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Sounds a bit like me too Catherine, bringing up kids, volunteering, working from an early age...then painting, gardening...now I don't do that as much but could not do with being in the work force now, mentally maybe,, but don't drive and nae hoofin' it noo! :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I never regretted retiring. Now finding it hard to fit everything I want to do into my day. Main thing is to keep active and enjoy your grandkids, Plan to do something special when you finish so everything doesn't come to a sudden stop - maybe a wee holiday.

Hope you have along and happy retirement, Catherine. Betty sends her good wishes.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

I was tired too Catherine and hear what you are saying. I could have written what Retsum said and agree 100% with it. Retirement for me has been great and I bet you’ll find that too. I wish you the very best and hope you enjoy having time to relax more.

Campbell
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Catherine,
like Hughie, I hope you have a long and happy retirement. The Dutch have some great sayings, one of which is about retirement; 'they have gone to sit behind the geraniums' (in the window box).
When we stopped working, we made a solemn promise that all the geraniums would stay in the garden.
Just to put things in perspective, there are downsides to retirement.
There are no holidays or weekends any more. You're retired 24/7 :lol:
I regularly say to Ria, 'I'm going to go back to work, then I'll have more free time.'
We just seem to be so busy with hobbies, interests and other social activities.
We're enjoying being retired, but sometimes it feels like hard work. :D
Don't sit behind the geraniums.

JD.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Hughie wrote:I never regretted retiring. Now finding it hard to fit everything I want to do into my day. Main thing is to keep active and enjoy your grandkids, Plan to do something special when you finish so everything doesn't come to a sudden stop - maybe a wee holiday.
Hope you have along and happy retirement, Catherine. Betty sends her good wishes.
Just logged on again....Thanks for your input Hughie. My love to Betty. The thing is...I'm Quite the recluse if it wasn't for working, I'd spend my time sitting home and cleaning out the closets..lol. I always thought that spending time with my grand kids would be the thing to do when I retired...unfortunately university, driving lessons and extra school activities take up all of their time..they grew up before my eyes and the babies I thought I'd spend time with are no more...
However, Betty, my sister, already has plans for us....groan! She is relentless and refuses to let me sit on my butt! lol!
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

canfactory wrote:I was tired too Catherine and hear what you are saying. I could have written what Retsum said and agree 100% with it. Retirement for me has been great and I bet you’ll find that too. I wish you the very best and hope you enjoy having time to relax more.

Campbell
Thank you! :)
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

John Donnelly wrote:Catherine,

Don't sit behind the geraniums.

JD.
I'll try, JD... Thank you! :)
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

morag wrote:Sounds a bit like me too Catherine, bringing up kids, volunteering, working from an early age...then painting, gardening...now I don't do that as much but could not do with being in the work force now, mentally maybe,, but don't drive and nae hoofin' it noo! :lol:
Ah, Morag..sad to hear you have stalled painting! hope that that is a temporary thing...shame to waste good talent. ;)
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Like you Catherine I worked from !5 to 62 and found retirement very hard did lots of voluntary work , cleaned house for people looked after an elderly woman, found I was working harder than I did when i was working.
Looked after my grand daughter till school. Then decided it was time to enjoy, which I do, still on a Monday morning, I love the thought oh I am so glad I don't have to go to work, its amazing how you can fit the days in.
Enjoy Catherine remember you deserve this ....