The Magnum!!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: The Magnum!!

Post by GEODGC »

sheenaj wrote:I have always felt the main problem with the Magnum was access! Way down in an area which at night is surrounding area was blank. There was a bus that went there infrequently but if your standing in that bus shelter waiting for it to turn up was always scary.Even trying to get there during daylight was bad enough. If you don't have a car you are relying on a safe way to get there and back. I hope the new developers take this into consideration -but probably not :? The area around Irvine needs to be revamped.The last time I was there the 'mall' was a shadow of when it first opened.The area needs jobs and an injection to jump start it but please think before you build!It would be nice if some of that investor money could see it's way to Saltcoats Harbour area.
You are bang on the money with your description of why the Magnum was the right facility in the wrong place. They have missed a trick here in building the replacement, the old Volvo site was perfect. Plenty of space for as big a facility as required. Just off the motorway, right on the bus route, loads of parking space, in a great catchment area for Irvine, Kilwinning etc etc. Instead, they have shoehorned a rushed facility, with limited space, limited parking, no room to expand etc etc. Well played NAC :hi:
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

John Donnelly wrote:
bonzo wrote:It was that "ill conceived" it was the second biggest visitor attraction in Scotland beaten only by Edinburgh Castle.
Bonzo,
I must confess that I find that hard to believe, nonetheless, I'll take your word for it.
But that now raises a much bigger question. If that is the case, why the hell did they let it get so run down?
I really do give up.
I can only say in my own defence, I didn't vote for them.
JD.
I smell fish. At exactly the moment Magnum is to close new facilities roll into town.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

John Donnelly wrote:
bonzo wrote:It was that "ill conceived" it was the second biggest visitor attraction in Scotland beaten only by Edinburgh Castle.
Bonzo,
I must confess that I find that hard to believe, nonetheless, I'll take your word for it.
But that now raises a much bigger question. If that is the case, why the hell did they let it get so run down?
I really do give up.
I can only say in my own defence, I didn't vote for them.
JD.
JD, I'm not talking last year for visitor numbers, I'm talking at it's height a previous poster said it was ill conceived due to it's proximity to the ICI.
http://www.irvinetimes.com/news/1474213 ... re_centre/
Those wimin were in the nip.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

What a smasher of an article.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

michaelm wrote:
bonzo wrote:If this development comes off it will be huge for Irvine and Stevenston
Surely you're having a laugh there bonzo, the only benefit I can see to Stevenston folk from any of these proposals is the bridge over the river being re-connected.

Michael if this proposal does come off what side do you recon they will work from? I would think the Stevenston side would be the viable option. Personally I think that would be great for business in the town. Also they are talking of utilising the beach which of course leads you to Stevenston as well as Irvine. People out walking would surely use the towns amenities. Just my thinking I might be a mile off.
Those wimin were in the nip.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I'm hoping you're right there bonzo, it's just that smaller towns like Stevenston seem to habitually get left out of all this supposed regeneration stuff.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

michaelm wrote:I'm hoping you're right there bonzo, it's just that smaller towns like Stevenston seem to habitually get left out of all this supposed regeneration stuff.
Hear hear!!

Btw... If you go to the Magnum, don't forget to take pix!!!! Years from now people will want to see them in the same way we like to look at stuff from the past just now!!!!!!
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Despite the fact that it was successful its opening times were curtailed by its proximity to the explosives company and it was daft to have been built there.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

The last time i was in Scotland was about five years ago with the family. We stayed at Shandylands for a week and me and the boys loved it for the fact we could visit a different place every day of the week to enjoy the amenities. The Magnum we all thoroughly enjoyed as we had the ice -rink all to our own and that raises questions. Maybe the place is a dinosaur now if they have to knock it down and bring it up to date it will raise short term jobs and maybe many more if it GETS it right. You cant live in the past forever.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

i'll have a guess that the Energy Center will be on the Stevenston side of the river.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Irvine- be quick, perhaps Donald and Putin, have plans for the Chinese currency. :roll:
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

At least if Donald got involved things WOULD no doubt happen.