Rhetorical Question

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Rhetorical Question

Post by Catherine Belle »

If you were diagnosed with Cancer stage 4. would you just carry on with your life or subject yourself to untold miseries which involve radiation and chemo?...again this is a rhetorical question. I do not have cancer but if I did I would just live my life and die when my time came...Any thoughts?
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Rhetorical Question

Post by Sarah »

That is a hard one to answer Catherine, stage 4 is pretty dire, cancer treatments are so much better now
partner John has just finished his second lot of radiation this year and with not too many bad effects,
admittedly only stage 2-3 cancers, but he has come through it really well.
I have seen a lot of stage 4 cancer patient, and I feel like I would go the the same way as you.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Thanks for your response, Sara. My healing thoughts go out to John. as for stage 4 cancer...glad you agree with me.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I am on the same page as you, Catherine. Would not want to have treatment, rather take each day as it comes.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I'd try some treatments and hope for the best :)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I think this depends on whether you feel your life is worth fighting for or not.
I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago. I had a G3 tumour, thankfully still at stage 1A but growing fast. I had chemotherapy and radiation treatment. If I hadn't decided to get treatment I probably wouldn't be here today. It was tough, but it was worth it. :wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

bobnetau wrote:I am on the same page as you, Catherine. Would not want to have treatment, rather take each day as it comes.

Thanks for your response, Netta. I've seen more than a few family and friends who were blindsided by stage four. All were living pretty active lives until their diagnosis. Then their lives came to a stop when they decided to fight the inevitable. They spent the last few months of their lives in and out of hospitals and feeling sicker than they felt before the diagnosis... :(
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

hahaya2004 wrote:I think this depends on whether you feel your life is worth fighting for or not.
I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago. I had a G3 tumour, thankfully still at stage 1A but growing fast. I had chemotherapy and radiation treatment. If I hadn't decided to get treatment I probably wouldn't be here today. It was tough, but it was worth it. :wink:
So glad you were diagnosed in time and chose treatment. :D But for those who find out too late, I still think I would fore go treatment and let nature take it's course...but that's just me.
xox
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Depends what stage of life you are at. Young children ,etc Survival rates are rising. Lung cancer has now a better chance of being beaten. At my time of life ,I would enjoy my remaining time.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

hahaya2004 wrote:I think this depends on whether you feel your life is worth fighting for or not.
Irene, so glad you took action when you did ...you are a survivor and I applaud your decision. :)
Some people are diagnosed too late though. Those are the ones I was targeting.
Incidentally for those of you who think this is a morbid subject, October is National Cancer Month. :|
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I would fight and fight and fight - never going "quietly into that dark goodnight" to misquote Dylan Thomas. If nothing else worked I'd even try the witch doctor and some pointing of the magic bones :lol:
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I am lucky enough to live in a country that if you are diagnosed as being terminally ill or have Alzheimers disease, you have the right to choose to 'pass' onto the next world immediately, by means of an injection. This has to be agreed with the doctor while you are still mentally aware, i.e. compus mentus, and you have to advise of course your immediate family. I don't want to be a burden to anyone, so if there's no hope, that's what will happen to me!