Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by 5siamese7 »

Gosh that reminds me of happy times. I would cycle down to Ayr on my mountain bike and go into the big fishmongers just on the outskirts of Ayr and negotiate a price for a whole salmon or sea trout tell them I've cycled from Stevenston and would they gut it and steak it and put it in ice for me as I was cycling home. They seemed to admire the fact that i'd cycled all that way to their shop and always gave me a great welcome when I turned up. The fish was fantastic and well worth the effort.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A really muggy and sticky day today. What I would like to know is why do all the beasties fly at the same height as my face? I had beasties up my nose, in my mouth, in my eyes and ears.

Anyway on to the cycle headed out through ravenspark golf course and onto ncr73 to Kilmarnock. Through the town centre and out by rugby Park.

Then to gatehead and Dundonald where I turned towards Drybridge along shewalton rd and back towards the paper mill.

Back onto the cycle path through shewalton woods gailes rd, beachpark, Irvine harbour and Moor then hame. 29 miles today.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

A midge in the eye especially when on a bike is horrible.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

It was an awful clammy day. Just awful.

Didn't go cycling. Went for a cool swim instead (!!)
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Strange that SEPA( Scottish Environment Protection Agency)gave a flood warning for Wednesday for Arran and Ayrshire with torrential rain!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

In contrast to the clammyness of Wednesday when I went out this morning it was wet and windy.

Just a wee jaunt along the coast as far as the club house at royal Troon turned there and headed back the same way.

Stopped for a drink at Barassie beach and watched the para sailing and wind surfers. Fascinating to watch, these people get a fair lick of speed up as well. Back on the bike and homeward bound. 25 miles.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Walked along the cycle path to Irvine yesterday and a number of cyclists past me mostly silently. I got talking to a couple of anglers on the cycle path next to the Garnock and they weren't best pleased. Those bikers think they own the path. I said I can see it from both sides which didn't please them but we all agreed cyclists should have bells on their bikes which I believe is a legal requirement. Incidentally I notice the police cyclists don't have bells and sometimes ride two abreast when they are on the road.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

What bugs me are cyclists (mostly youngsters mind you) who are on the pavements. If you were to step sideways, you would be injured.

I had to be pulled away from the bus stop at Stevenston X because some moron almost could not stop in time.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

If you read rule 66 on cycling in the highway code cycling 2 abreast is perfectly legal.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Cycling 2 abreast is perfectly legal.

Motorists should give a cyclist the same amount of clearance as they would give a car. Cyclist 2 abreast take up less room than a car. If there isn’t enough room to pass a car, there isn’t enough room to pass a bike.

Having a bell is not a legal requirement. There is a legal requirement for shops to fit bikes with a bell when a bike is sold.

Cycling on pavements is wrong - as I pointed out to 2 police cyclists who were cycling down the pavement in Gordon St, Glasgow yesterday.

Personally, I find that on paths, a loud “Can I squeeze past you there...thanks” is far more sociable than a bell.

Neither a bell nor a shout will work if the pedestrian has earphones in.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Totally agree Bruce, the headphone thing when coupled with a dog on an extendable lead is a pain.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This afternoon I left castlepark and headed towards loans via the beach park and gailes rd, double backed through shewalton woods which brings you out at the entrance to the paper mill.

From there I followed the road round to Drybridge, through Dreghorn, perceton row and back to the staincastle, girdle toll, lawthorn, benslie and into Kilwinning.

Through the town centre and followed the main road to Stevenston. Along glencairn st, the high rd and into Ardrossan. Turned back along north Crescent rd, South Beach, Saltcoats harbour, the prom, the quarry, dubbs Rd and hame. 35 miles today.