Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by 5siamese7 »

I loved cycling and one day I cycled up to Montgreenan hotel for a pint. I hit numerous metal sharp staples and my tyres were riddled. I did not have a puncture outfit and had to walk back home. I thought this will never happen to me again and went and bought armadillo tyres and I never ever had a puncture ever again.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Had a wee free afternoon so headed out on the bike. I was just past the gailes hotel and crunch my bottom bracket decided it had had enough. I managed to cycle very slowly back into Irvine and dropped the bike off at Halfords. Past experience has taught me changing a bottom bracket can be a knuckle skinning job so I don't mind letting someone else doing it.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Nae luck...

I managed to snap a chain last weekend, half way up the Brisbane Glen road - i.e. in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately I had a chain tool and quick link in the bag, so got it sorted.

New chain now on.

I’ve got a broken spoke too - but I’m in a “cannae be bothered” mood, so will probably take it into shop to get fixed.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I had tae come hame today and fix a puncture and a broken spoke on my other bike for getting tae work the morra. Speaking of which I probably walked most of the way to work this morning it was sheet ice everywhere, quite bum clenching at bits so I ended up just pushing the bike :lol:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote:Had a wee free afternoon so headed out on the bike. I was just past the gailes hotel and crunch my bottom bracket decided it had had enough. I managed to cycle very slowly back into Irvine and dropped the bike off at Halfords. Past experience has taught me changing a bottom bracket can be a knuckle skinning job so I don't mind letting someone else doing it.
Why Halfords bonzo. No any wee indy shops around ?
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Halfords bike dept in Irvine is one of the better ones - although in many cases it depends which technician you get. And it’s open 7 days, til 8pm most nights.

I also like the bike shop in Eglinton St in Irvine - “Irvine Cycles” I think - I bought my first bike there, and when I bought my current one, the irvine shop was my second choice. The only problem with that shop is that it’s pretty much a one-man show. He’s very good, but he’s not always there. Sometimes his mum’s minding the shop...

The bike cafe place in Kilwinning seems good - they’ve got a workshop.

I’ve never really taken to the bike shop in Saltcoats - any time I’ve been in, I’ve felt ignored....
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

and another wee tip for Halfords - if you’re planning to buy something significant there - anything, not just bike stuff - then join British Cycling first.

It costs 22 pounds per year for basic membership of British Cycling, or 37 pounds for the membership that also includes 3rd party insurance and legal protection. But you also get a 10% discount on any item at Halfords. So if you’re buying something big, it’ll pay for itself in one visit.

Halfords also do “online price match” - if you find any item cheaper online, they’ll match it in their online store. So if you find something you want, search around the internet for the best price for the item. Get Halfords to price match it, then select “collect in store”. When you collect, use your BC card for a further 10% off.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote:
bonzo wrote:Had a wee free afternoon so headed out on the bike. I was just past the gailes hotel and crunch my bottom bracket decided it had had enough. I managed to cycle very slowly back into Irvine and dropped the bike off at Halfords. Past experience has taught me changing a bottom bracket can be a knuckle skinning job so I don't mind letting someone else doing it.
Why Halfords bonzo. No any wee indy shops around ?
Like Bruce I buy my bikes from Irvine cycles as they are a ridgeback dealer. Halfords you usually get your bike back within a day or two which is much quicker than the bike shop imo.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I did today the cycle I never did yesterday :lol: castlepark to royal Troon golf course and back, what a nice afternoon. 25 miles.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A wee jaunt doon tae ayr today. Followed route 7 from ravenspark to pitate petes (or as I prefer to remember it the pavilion) in Ayr. Sat fur 10 minutes and had a drink.

Came back along the main road through Prestwick and followed the local cycle route behind Troon and Barassie,gailes rd and straight into Irvine and back to castlepark. 35 miles.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Saltcoats, stevenson, dubbs rd, kilwinning. In past Redburn to Irvine, through the town and out towards Dreghorn. Past the new driving test centre towards the paper mill, then Gailes and Troon. Turned at the far side of Troon, headed out to Dundonald. Quick coffee at the garden centre, then Drybridge, Irvine, Kilwinning and back to Saltcoats. 54km in total.

When I left, the torrential rain had just stopped, but lots of surface water. By the time I got back, it was a beautiful day.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I miss the bike but its too dangerous for me. I have a balance problem. Anyway last week I went for a wee walk down to the farmhouse near Fullarton wood. I use to cycle down there and often thought what a great place to live. The big farmhouse has been trashed, ripped apart . Bloody shame.