Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by 5siamese7 »

Cycling is great, I miss it so much. Most mornings three elderly gentlemen will cycle past the house come rain or shine. The past week there has been only two I hope the other old guy is ok and they get back to their usual number.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Got out for an hour and a half this morning. Castlepark to the coloured seats at North crescent road in Ardrossan.
It's good to see they have filled in a lot of the potholes on dubbs rd, so not so much dodging the shell holes now. 20 miles.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

bonzo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:17 pm Got out for an hour and a half this morning. Castlepark to the coloured seats at North crescent road in Ardrossan.
It's good to see they have filled in a lot of the potholes on dubbs rd, so not so much dodging the shell holes now. 20 miles.
The worst part of that road was under the wee railway bridge next to Dubbs farm. What is it like now?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Flat as a pancake. It was pretty bad under both railway bridges also where the road dips outside the caravan park all fixed now.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:17 pm Got out for an hour and a half this morning. Castlepark to the coloured seats at North crescent road in Ardrossan.
Good to read your back on the road bonzo .. :D
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Aye, they’ve filled the worst of the holes on that road, and resurfaced a few sections.

It’s to be closed to traffic shortly, so just pedestrians, bikes horses etc.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Glorious morning for a wee jaunt to Troon. Up and out before 8 and there was a bit of heat even then.
Cycling through Irvine harbour there was 4 or 5 wee groups of guys with irish accents all suited and booted, I was a little puzzled as this was around 8.10am then it dawned on me today is the Scottish national :think:. It's amazing how chocolate box Irvine harbour is on a morning like this.
Anyway on to Troon it's great having a morning with no wind or rain we don't get them to often :lol:
Turned back at royal Troon and back hame via morrisons for some oat and raisin cookies.
25 miles today.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

yes, lovely morning today. It was only a fortnight ago I stopped wearing the big winter gloves!

Today was the first day this year that I wore shorts, and no over jacket, and the normal shoes rather than the goretex cycle boots.

Headed out about half 9, along the high rd to Stevenston, then Dubbs road to Kilwinning.
Benslie, Torranyard, Cunninghamhead and then Kilmaurs.

Into Kilmarnock, and along to where the Infirmary used to be. That’s been gone for years, but Johnnie Walker is completely gone now; that’s the site of the new college. I’d seen it before, but it was only today that I realised just how different that bit of Kilmarnock is.

Past Black’s Bar, up Strawberry Bank and through the Kay Park, on to London Rd. Out through Hurlford and joined the “Chris Hoy Cycleway”, which took me to Galston along an old railway route.

Turned at Galston, and came back the same way to Kilmarnock. Through the town, stopped for a coffee, then Crosshouse and Springside. Turned right at Springside to take me past the “Toffee Coo” - I’d already had my coffee, so didn’t stop - and back to Cunninghamhead. Home via Benslie and kilwinning.

When I got home, I had done 45 miles. One of my pedals was making a squeaky noise, so I greased it and did another 5 miles out to the end of ardrossan and back to check the squeak had gone. 51 miles today.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I've moved this topic to the sports section at Meg's request - why didn't I think of that? Would be nice to see other local cyclists contributing.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Does that make me a sportsman now :lol:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »