Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Bruce »

Two trips this weekend. Both started off with a quick climb from the High rd past the cemetery, and up sorbie road to the farm, then back down to ardrossan.

On saturday, I then headed up to the top of Dalry Rd (Ardrossan) and along the old high rd to West Kilbride. A strange ride - there was low cloud, so although the visibility was OK at sea level, on the old high rd it was down to about 100 yards.

Through West Kilbride in the general direction of Dalry, then followed the B road to meet the A78 near Hunterston. Back to saltcoats along the coast - just over 16 miles.

Today, when I got back from Sorbie, I headed up Burns Ave and up the Saltcoats version of Dalry Rd. Once at the top, I headed towards Kerelaw, then Ardeer Golf Course. On past the new solar farm and into Whitehurst Park. On to Pennyburn, and picked up the cycle path. Followed it to Ravenspark and into Irvine. Low green, and then harbour. Turned there, had a bite to eat at the cafe, and headed back by much the same route to kilwinning, then Dubbs Rd home. 22 miles.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This morning I stuck to the main road from Irvine to Kilwinning. Turned up whithirst Park, meadow Park Road and the wee back rd into Stevenston.

Then doon Campbell Ave,macgregor Ave and turned on to glencairn st along the high rd through Saltcoats and into Ardrossan.

Turned back along north Crescent rd, South Beach, Saltcoats harbour, the prom,the quarry, dubbs Rd and hame. 21 wet but enjoyable miles.
Those wimin were in the nip.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

bonzo wrote:This morning I stuck to the main road from Irvine to Kilwinning. Turned up whithirst Park, meadow Park Road and the wee back rd into Stevenston.

Then doon Campbell Ave,macgregor Ave and turned on to glencairn st along the high rd through Saltcoats and into Ardrossan.

Turned back along north Crescent rd, South Beach, Saltcoats harbour, the prom,the quarry, dubbs Rd and hame. 21 wet but enjoyable miles.
You must be like a rake
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

MANBEAR wrote:
bonzo wrote:This morning I stuck to the main road from Irvine to Kilwinning. Turned up whithirst Park, meadow Park Road and the wee back rd into Stevenston.

You must be like a rake
Hahaha far from it, the beer does mare damage than the cycling does good //funny
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Out early this morning. Up the hill and along the back road to West Kilbride, then on towards Hunterston.

At the Hunterston roundabout, turned towards the power station, and went right along past Hunterston B and Hunterston A. Lots of building work going on beyond there, with a new AC-DC converter station, and underground cables recently installed from there to a site near portencross.

Went as far as the end of the road - if it had been drier underfoot, I’d have gone on along the path to Portencross, but since it was muddy I turned back, and went along the path near Hunterston castle. The back to Saltcoats along the A78.

34km, or 21 miles.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I Enjoy this topic. It keeps us who are away from home informed of the changes in the region as our cyclists tell us about their journeys. :) Well done to bonzo for starting the journey / topic. //perfect
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Lovely morning today - bright and sunny. So I abandoned the goretex boots and the big gloves for the first time this year. Still stuck with long leggings rather than risking shorts!

Headed out from Saltcoats, along the high road and through Stevenston. Along Dubbs Rd to Kilwinning and along the path towards Eglinton Park.

From there, up to the “Five Roads”,and out towards Benslie. Montgreenan, Torranyard, then Stewarton.

After Stewarton, it was a fairly hilly section along a farm road, which eventually took me to the A77 near Fenwick. Followed the A77 cycle path past the Galston turnoff until the Eaglesham moor road.

Then there was an uphill climb of about 3 miles until I reached the visitor centre at Whitelee wind farm.

Coffee and a bacon roll - £2.50

then back on the bike, and home by the same route. The breeze was in my face on the way back, but it was downhill!

By the time I got home, I was wishing I’d worn a lighter jacket.

70km in total.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

It's nice to have good weather Bruce.
Have any of you guys seen cyclists humping big Blue boxes on their backs, a horrible sight ... seem to be all over the place where i live. The new style of delivering hot food to hungry customers , believe it's called Deliveroo.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Yes Brian we have them to but more in the cities.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A wee jaunt to Prestwick today. Out through ravenspark golf course, Irvine Moor, the harbour, beach Park, gailes rd, barrasie beach, Troon beach, out past the airport, Prestwick beach as far as bruces well.

Stopped there for a drink and headed back the same way except I went through Prestwick town and missed out Troon and Barassie beaches. There was a small airforce plane buzzing about Prestwick, a gnat or a hawk some kind of trainner but it was fair moving.

Also just found out today they have decided to charge you 30p tae use the pubic toilets at Troon beach. Not so good when you don't have a bit change on you :lol:
32 miles done today.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

What a morning fur a cycle it was like baby bears porridge. Headed to Largs usual way. Ravenspark, dubbs Rd, the quarry, down to the station gates, along the prom, Saltcoats harbour, South Beach, North shore, Seamill, roon by hunterston castle, Fairlie and in to Largs.

Sat on Largs prom for 20 minutes had a drink and a bit of chocolate and watched the world gaun by. Then headed for hame the same way as I went oot. 44 miles.

Across from the garnock floods where the old cowp was there's a big burner sticking out of the ground with a big flame coming oot the top of it, must be burning off methane. Also doon by hunterston castle all the lambs are up and aboot spring is definitely here.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

yes, a smashing morning for a cycle today.

I started at Saltcoats, through Stevenston then out past Kerelaw towards Ardeer golf course. Kept going along the farm roads until Dalgarven, then crossed the main road, up past Dalgarven Mill, and stayed on the farm roads until I was up behind Beith. Past the Admiralty, through Barrmill and Burnhouse and on towards Dunlop.

After Dunlop, I headed towards Lugton, then along the back roads towards Howwood. Turned towards Lochwinnoch - stopped for a coffee and a bacon roll there.

Then followed the cycle path along the old railway line from Lochwinnoch to Kilbirnie, through the town and climbed up the Largs road. A long slog, but coming down the Haylie Brae made it all worthwhile!

Then back along the main road from Largs to Saltcoats.

That’s my longest trip this year - 84km (52 miles) with about 2000ft of climbing!

It was an interesting trip - farm roads that I’d never been on before, despite them only being a few miles from where I grew up.

http://open.relive.cc/wf/click?upn=flHS ... 5G5XM0w-3D