Favourite 3 towns pub(past or present)

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Favourite 3 towns pub(past or present)

Post by bonzo »

Being a dug track boy will always have a soft spot for the Grants. Used to really enjoy Rudis and was always partial to a wee night in the Grangeknowe. Didnae start going to the pub til the early 80s but would be happy tae hear aboot pubs fae further back in time.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Favourite 3 towns pub(past or present)

Post by Meg »

Mary (owner of the Grant Arms) was wonderful to the threetowners organising committee - she allowed us to host a lot of our social nights there free of charge, hold our meetings on cold Monday nights - and even cooked for us. I'm not sure if it's still with us (it seemed closed the last time I passed), I agree - a great wee pub.

Meg
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Think it just opens Thursday to Sunday noo
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Who could forget The Winton - Charlie's was a fantastic place for live music, supper dances, cabarets and open mike nights - I used to work in there on a Saturday night - the acts were great, and it was busy busy busy!

Meg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Had my leaving Scotland party in the Grants Arms on the Boglemart in August 1964. Ardeer Foundry workmates seen me off.
The Central Bar in Ardrossan was a handy place before heading across the road to the dancing at the Castle Craigs - a great place then for a game of darts. But like others in Ardrossan I found Aldo's Castle Hill Vaults a nice welcoming place, and from what I hear continued to be so when son Alfie took over.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

The auld grants wae the tunnel a tween the bar and the games room?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I love where this post is gaun speak please!!!
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

When I saw this, I knew it was going to be a biggie.
Joe Rankin's wins hands down for me.
Joe was 'Joe' to everybody, but Mrs. Rankin was always 'Mrs. Rankin.'

JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Joe Rankin was a bit hard of hearing and had the reputation of deliberately misunderstanding folk. Legend is when he first took over the pub he immediately started chucking out the undesirables, 5 in his first day. Folk were thinking he want last but no he turned it into one of the best pubs in the town. However the w.c. was dire and you would have had to be desperate.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

In Ardrossan - the Tap Shop was (and hopefully still is) a well known and well frequented pub at the "tap" of the town - and next door's Red Herring was the lounge. Matt Stevenston's Reaper was also a lively venue especially for karaoke. Nicols on the way to the Harbour was always busy, and it was the first place I went for a drink in the afternoon when the new all day licensing was introduced in 1976 - just because we could!
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

The public bar in the Ardchoille Hotel in Stevenston's Hayocks area brings back many a pleasant memory. And who could forget the Greystones Hotel at the bottom of New Street in the town. Sadly both these pubs are no longer with us.

Think I bought my first ' Pint ' in the Champion Shell in Stevenston. I'm sure I was only 17 at the time but as there were no ID cards then it was a bit easier for underagers to get served. Three or four of us used to go in and the one who looked the oldest would get sent to order the pints at the bar. Sometimes one of the bar staff would come over to the table we were at and ask the 6 million dollar question ... " You boys aw 18?" and If you were brave enough a good answer to that was ... " Naw, am no' 18, I'm 19 " :)
Last edited by michaelm on Mon May 02, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hahaha mind when I was aboot 17 gaun tae see strippers in the greystones had a dodgy pint and wae spewin rings roon myself had tae go hame didnae even see the strippers //funny