Not the THREETOWNS but close

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Not the THREETOWNS but close

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
14 MAY 1888

BOWLING – WEST KILBRIDE

On Saturday a fine new bowling green was opened her. There was a large attendance of invited players from Ardrossan, Dalry, Fairlie, Largs. And Kilmaurs; who during the afternoon engaged in a contest, President v. Vice-President, which resulted as under:-

President, 124; Vice President, 105.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
24 MAY 1850

ADVERTISEMENT

AT TROON FOR DEMERARA – the fast sailing brigantine MATTHEW KING, 145 tons register, Captain Simpson, will be despatched on 25th instant.

AT TROON FOR DEMERARA – the fast sailing, British-built coppered brig CAMILLA, 165 tons register, Captain Young, will be despatched on 25th instant.

For freight or passage, apply to BELL & ORR, 107 Buchanan Street, Glasgow.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
28 MAY 1881

AYR – MUNGO’S WELL

This well, one of the objects passed by Tam o’ Shanter “as he frae Ayr ae nicht did canter,” has just been opened up to the public and will doubtless prove an object of interest to the numerous visitors to the “Cottage” and “Monument.”

The well is situated between 200 and 300 yards from the public road near “Alloway’s auld haunted Kirk,” and the tenant of Doonbrae Cottage, on the lands of which the well is situated, has had a footpath opened up to it, and the ground around it levelled and improved for the accommodation of visitors.

The spot – “Near the thorn aboon the well, where Mungo’s mither hang’d herself,” is one of the loveliest and most interesting on the banks of the Doon.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
29 MAY 1885

GLASGOW AND SOUTH-WESTERN RAILWAY
OPENING OF LINE TO LARGS

The line to Largs will be open for traffic on Monday, 1 June.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:25 am GLASGOW HERALD
29 MAY 1885

GLASGOW AND SOUTH-WESTERN RAILWAY
OPENING OF LINE TO LARGS

The line to Largs will be open for traffic on Monday, 1 June.
GLASGOW HERALD
1 JUNE 1885

THE NEW RAILWAY TO LARGS

A special meeting of the Largs Burgh Commissioners was held on Friday evening, at which it was agreed to recommend that all places of business in Largs be closed this afternoon (Monday) in honour of the opening of the new line to Largs of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway Company.

It was also agreed that the Commissioners would travel to Ardrossan and back via the new line, and they recommended as many of the inhabitants as possible to follow their example.

On Saturday arrangements were made to carry the Largs Company of the 1st Ayrshire Rifle Volunteers down to Ardrossan, en route to Kilmarnock, over the new railway.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 JUNE 1885

THE NEW RAILWAY TO LARGS

Considerable interest was manifested in Largs yesterday at the opening of the new line of the Glasgow & South-Western Railway Company.

A good number of people gathered to witness the departure and arrival of the first trains in the morning at the new station.

The shops in the town were decorated with evergreens and flowers in honour of the event.

The afternoon was pretty generally observed as a half-holiday.

The Commissioners of the burgh left Largs by the new railway at half-past one o’clock for Ardrossan, where they spent the afternoon, returning about 6 p.m.

A very large number of the townsfolk accompanied them, the railway company issuing return tickets at single fare for the occasion.

Remarks were general as to the smoothness of the new line and the beauty of the views of the Firth to be had from the railway between Largs and Ardrossan.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
6 JUNE 1851

STEAMER CASUALTY – AYR

On Saturday afternoon last, the BRITON left on a pleasure trip to Ardrossan and Millport, arriving at the latter place about half-past four o’clock. On leaving, and when nearly a quarter of a mile from the shore, the tide being very low, she slight grazed one of the sunken rocks which obstruct the entrance to the harbour.

On examination, it was found that one of the bottom iron plates, bear the paddle was damaged.

The captain very prudently instantly put back to the quay, and got the passengers transferred to the steam-boat STAR, by which they were conveyed to Ardrossan. The ISLE OF ARRAN brought back those from Ayr.

But little alarm prevailed among the passengers, and the inconvenience of the occurrence was but slight.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
7 JUNE 1887

GREENOCK – BOYS SENTENCED TO BE WHIPPED

At Greenock Burgh Police Court – before Bailie Service – yesterday, SAMUEL MORAN pleaded guilty to stealing 1½ lb. of sugar from a store at the Albert Harbour on Saturday, and was ordered to receive 15 stripes with the leather tawse.

Another boy, named JAMES GRIERSON, also pleaded guilty to stealing six pansy plants from a fruiterer’s shop in Cathcart Street on Saturday, and the same sentence was passed upon him.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Penny Tray wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:53 am GLASGOW HERALD
7 JUNE 1887

GREENOCK – BOYS SENTENCED TO BE WHIPPED

At Greenock Burgh Police Court – before Bailie Service – yesterday, SAMUEL MORAN pleaded guilty to stealing 1½ lb. of sugar from a store at the Albert Harbour on Saturday, and was ordered to receive 15 stripes with the leather tawse.

Maybe that's where the term a "good leathering" originated from . Barbaric times ...
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Barbaric maybe!!! But I'll guarantee that 9 out of 10 folk on this board have had the belt and I'll also guarantee they learned a lesson. What do you get these days 50 lines? Suspended for a week? Meg help me out here do you think teaching was harder/easier with/without corporal punishment?
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:56 pm Barbaric maybe!!! But I'll guarantee that 9 out of 10 folk on this board have had the belt and I'll also guarantee they learned a lesson. What do you get these days 50 lines? Suspended for a week? Meg help me out here do you think teaching was harder/easier with/without corporal punishment?
I got belted at school - and it certainly was a deterrent. I came late to teaching so never worked in conditions where corporal punishment was allowed but there is NO deterrent today. South Ayrshire even has a policy of ‘no exclusions’ so if an adult is assaulted (I was punched by a primary 7 boy) nothing can be done - I believe even the police can’t do anything. I worked with a principal teacher who was left with two broken ribs, severe bruising on both legs, a black eye and a stitch needed inside her top lip when she was left supervising two ‘behaviour’ primary seven boys at lunch time this time last year.

Oh, and you can’t dish out punishment like writing lines. There’s no learning outcome in that - everything needs a learning outcome that ties in the the Curriculum for Excellence.

I LOVE BEING RETIRED........
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Call me barbaric if you wish but I believe there is a place for corporal punishment. I had the belt many times and although I didn’t fear the belt I respected it and always tried to avoid it. I’m sure there would be more repect for the law if the birch was available instead of community service or a luxury stay in Barlinnie Hotel.