Technology

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Technology

Post by Vivc113 »

As I have stated in my "Ashgrove" topic, I am in Glasgow today.

I went to a cafe earlier for a quick cup of tea. Now, what did I see? Folk relaxing and looking out the windows?? Having a discussion about the mildness of the weather??

NO. What I saw were numerous people on laptops looking deadly serious, from businessmen to secretaries. Which made me think:-

1. Yes. Technology lets us quickly keep in contact with family from here to Australia.
2. Yes. Technology lets us exchange views on great message boards such as this one.

But..... what have we lost? - the basic communication for starters ?? There is nothing like a good old chinwag in a wee cafe, or in the street. I nodded and smiled at someone who looked up from a laptop briefly, only to be given the "V's". Seriously?! :lol:

The ability to take breaks? Even I, out and about in the city, just had to pop into an Internet cafe to clear out emails, most of which are junk anyway.

Anyhow, what are your views? I wonder if Ayr is as bad as Glasgow for this, or is this predominantly a "city" thing?
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Technology

Post by madge »

Yes Vivc13 technology has taken over the world .

I was recently in for a coffee and like you could hardly believe how many people were on their smart phones,
one couple next to me never spoke just sat playing on their phone. They were unaware of anything around them.

They must have been in their late 50s. So sad that they had stopped communicating with each other.

Sign of the times, the art of conversation will soon be dead.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

So it is not just me. Ha. I think this is why I prefer folk in their 70s. They know how to STOP.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Viv,
Yes what a world we have become, devoid of the art of physical communication, people can't leave their phones in their bag or pocket even when in a restaurant. We have a rule when we go out to dinner, no mobile phone use at the table, if your phone rings and you need to talk you get up and go outside. The same goes for texting.
There is also a post office I use close to my office, it has a sign on the door that says if you are on the phone don't bother coming to the counter as you won't be served. People here in Oz are getting fed up with the constant yakkers and texters.

Wee Boney
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Yes Vivc113, it's a shame things have gone this far, but to try and introduce a wee bit of humour here, isn't it ironic we're all typing into a keyboard of some sort to communicate our thoughts on the subject in question? //funny
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

On a favourable note. the new technology conversely makes meetings with friends and others easier to arrange. In the old days if you arranged to meet somebody in town and a last minute emergency occurred you had no way to contact them when after left home. Now you can just pull out the mobile and talk to them. Wee Ali
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

michaelm wrote:Yes Vivc113, it's a shame things have gone this far, but to try and introduce a wee bit of humour here, isn't it ironic we're all typing into a keyboard of some sort to communicate our thoughts on the subject in question? //funny
It isn't devoid of humour. My OP states that technology allows us to get onto great message boards such as these. :D

My point is that technology (in many ways) can add to pressure in daily lives, rather than save time. Before, if you worked in an office (as an example), you could leave work at your desk at 5 pm. Now, you may expected to answer e-mails in your evenings off.

Also, how many times a day would you maybe 1. check your 'phone 2. check your laptop - bet it's far more than you think !!!!! :mrgreen:
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

gnyaff wrote:There is also a post office I use close to my office, it has a sign on the door that says if you are on the phone don't bother coming to the counter as you won't be served. Wee Boney
LOVE this post office.

Yes, everywhere you go "Yack, yack, yack"........... when I was coming back from Glasgow last week, some idiot was shouting into their mobile "I'M ON A BUS" - in days gone by, you got more peace somehow.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote: It isn't devoid of humour. My OP states that technology allows us to get onto great message boards such as these. :D

My point is that technology (in many ways) can add to pressure in daily lives, rather than save time. Before, if you worked in an office (as an example), you could leave work at your desk at 5 pm. Now, you may expected to answer e-mails in your evenings off.

Also, how many times a day would you maybe 1. check your 'phone 2. check your laptop - bet it's far more than you think !!!!! :mrgreen:
Apologies Vivc113 .. By "Intoducing a wee bit of humour" I simply meant in the ironic sense, I didn't mean your topic was devoid of humour although I can see now why you may have thought that. Maybe I used the wrong smiley too. :)

I don't work in an office, but If I did I'd either refuse to answer any work related e/mails in my own time or make sure I was getting well paid for it. I did say I thought it was a shame things have gone this far, so I agree with your general point. :)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Sorry. I was in a slightly grumpy Monday mood this morn.

Plus, I seem to be meeting all the crazy folk today with crazy dogs + cats. :roll:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Vivc113 wrote:
Anyhow, what are your views? I wonder if Ayr is as bad as Glasgow for this, or is this predominantly a "city" thing?
Hi, Viv - have you tried the tube/underground in London yet .
lovely place :roll:
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

On the train between Washington & New York they have a quiet carriage where no cell phones are used and no talking above a whisper. A bunch of students came on and then one of them noticed the sign and left . Happy people all around including the students .