What's in your fruit bowl

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

What's in your fruit bowl

Post by brian f »

i done a big shop the day and bought different fruit rather than the traditional ie bananas oranges apples.
Kiwis, Mangoes and Grapefruits i purchased but how do you prepare them .
Can you hedgehog a mango. peel a kiwi or eat a grapefruit without sugar.
Think i better get back to basics :oops:
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What's in your fruit bowl

Post by little plum »

brian, don't ask me, I've been getting this wrong for years.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nBJV56WUDng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

brian f wrote:i done a big shop the day and bought different fruit rather than the traditional ie bananas oranges apples.
Kiwis, Mangoes and Grapefruits i purchased but how do you prepare them .
Can you hedgehog a mango. peel a kiwi or eat a grapefruit without sugar.
Think i better get back to basics :oops:
Mangoes are a pest to peel -just cut a start and try peeling with fingers, knife or peeler. . then it is a terrible job to separate the flesh from the kernel. Must be a way - I don't know it. You can use a knife or a peeler on the Kiwi, or just slice it with the skin on like you would a cucumber. You can actually eat the whole thing (ends sliced off) skin and all but not to everyone's taste. You can sprinkle sugar on grapefruit and scoop it out of the already cut halves.However an important note. Be careful about eating grapefruit if on blood pressure medication - it acts against a number of these medications, as you may discover if reading the precautions that come with the pills. Wee Ali
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

[quote="little plum"]brian, don't ask me, I've been getting this wrong for years.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nBJV56WUDng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/quote

After all them years , that is AMAZING :oops:
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

brian f wrote: peel a kiwi
brian, my good lady eats a Kiwi similar to eating a boiled egg. She takes the top off it and scoops out the flesh with a tea spoon. :roll:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

little plum wrote:
brian f wrote: peel a kiwi
brian, my good lady eats a Kiwi similar to eating a boiled egg. She takes the top off it and scoops out the flesh with a tea spoon. :roll:[/quote[utube][utube] :smt102 ][/utube][/utube]
I do much the same, cut in half and scoop out inside. Mangos taste petrolly to me and as wee Ali says a bit of bother with that huge pit. Grapefruit I eat either cut in half and segmented or like an orange. I don't know what 'hedgehogging a fruit means..
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

To cut and eat a mango we slice the "cheeks" off and then crisis cross cuts in the flesh, then push up on the skin and you have little squares that you can but off. That sounds as clear as mud written down but does work, try it.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

brian, I was thinking of starting a similar topic before you posted this, it was " what's the most unusual fruit you have eaten" When growing up fruit was a treat , I remember getting an apple or orange in my xmas stocking, not sure if it was cost or availability of fruit at the time, but now the supermarkets have all kinds of exotic fruit. I've tried citris fruits in the Carribbean that look similar to limes with a pink flesh, I've also tried dragon fruit thats very decorative as part of a sweet but not much flavour. While in Sri Lanka my private tour guide stopped at a roadside vendor selling durian fruit, when I got out his car I was hit with a gut wrenching smell from the husks next to the stall, there was no way I was going to try it. I have been reliably informed by other 3t's members that it is delicious.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I loved durian LP. I tasted it for the first time in Thailand and fought the awful sulphur type smell to at least say Id tried it but to my amazement I actually enjoyed it. It stinks so much that Singapore government banned it from the subway system.

Did you see or try any of the many varieties of banana in sri lanka. I have eaten toast and banana for breakfast since I was a kid. The waiters in our hotel tried to bring me different kinds of banana each morning - red skinned ones that tasted like custard, green ones that tasted just like a ripe banana we get here, but my favourite was the tiny sour bananas - no bigger than 3" long. Although we occasionally get tiny bananas in our supermarkets they arent the sour ones from sri lanka sadly.
Meg
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Very interesting ,so size dosn't matter. The best bananas i've ever tasted were in Egypt, small and green.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

little plum wrote:brian, I was thinking of starting a similar topic before you posted this, it was " what's the most unusual fruit you have eaten" When growing up fruit was a treat , I remember getting an apple or orange in my xmas stocking, not sure if it was cost or availability of fruit at the time, but now the supermarkets have all kinds of exotic fruit. I've tried citris fruits in the Carribbean that look similar to limes with a pink flesh, I've also tried dragon fruit thats very decorative as part of a sweet but not much flavour. While in Sri Lanka my private tour guide stopped at a roadside vendor selling durian fruit, when I got out his car I was hit with a gut wrenching smell from the husks next to the stall, there was no way I was going to try it. I have been reliably informed by other 3t's members that it is delicious.
Hi, little plum i have not travelled as much as you, though i do like to read of other members adventures. :D
My knowledge about fruit is probably limited to whats on sale in my local supermarkets.
Yes i do remember the fruit in the xmas stocking, some crafty parents would overload with fruit to make it look good :roll:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote:I loved durian LP. I tasted it for the first time in Thailand and fought the awful sulphur type smell to at least say Id tried it but to my amazement I actually enjoyed it. It stinks so much that Singapore government banned it from the subway system.

Did you see or try any of the many varieties of banana in sri lanka. I have eaten toast and banana for breakfast since I was a kid. The waiters in our hotel tried to bring me different kinds of banana each morning - red skinned ones that tasted like custard, green ones that tasted just like a ripe banana we get here, but my favourite was the tiny sour bananas - no bigger than 3" long. Although we occasionally get tiny bananas in our supermarkets they arent the sour ones from sri lanka sadly.
Meg
Hi , Meg i have also eaten toast and banana all my life, love it any time of day.
My wife and kids think am strange eating it, so i feel better now you eat it :)