Re going dancing in the 60's

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
BillKelly
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Re going dancing in the 60's

Post by BillKelly »

As a teenager I used to dance at the Pali de dance hall in Irivne on Monday evenings!
//funny
BillKelly
New Poster
New Poster

Post by BillKelly »

Like Penny I have danced at most of the halls and towns she refers to. From Kilmarnock it was the Grand Hall Saturday's & Wednesday's, Monday's at the Ritz Pali de dance Irvine, Thursday the Ayr Pavilion, Friday Bobby Jones, occasionally Glasgow Barrowland, Denisine Pali where Lulu sang! the Locarno on a Saturday morning which I thought was weird! never went to Troon Concert Hall go figure! There was also the Forum in Klimarnock for a short time this used to be a cinema but did not last long as a dance hall?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

BillKelly wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 pm never went to Troon Concert Hall go figure! There was also the Forum in Klimarnock for a short time this used to be a cinema but did not last long as a dance hall?
Hi Bill, the forum in Kilmarnock? I wonder if that was across the road more or less from the Kilmarnock Baths and the Fire Station. If it was, I remember going there with Ardrossan lads, Hughie Taylor (Spike's brother) and one of my regular pals James McCall. I didn't have a tie, can't recall about the others, but the management gave me one as it was a slow night.

I never did go to Bobby Jones - we found the Ayr ice rink attracted us back then and it was great fun on the train back to Kilwinning and again on the connection back to South Beach. In those days it wasn't corridor trains so I still have a bad memory of some idiot letting off a stink bomb in our compartment and us all hanging out the widows for some fresh air.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

It was the Grand in Kilmarnock that I went to a few times. Ritz,Rec,Kilmeny,Ingeldene,The Cave(Paisley),Kilbirnie a few times,my pal liked there ,Barrowland, in Glasgow a few times. Also went the Ardeer trip to one in Edinburgh.,and one in Preswick airbase.Favorite was the Ritz.

Sc
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
margaret murphy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by margaret murphy »

Quite a few choices...
The Castle Craig in Ardrossan
The Pavilion in Saltcoats (more the 50's)
The Ingeldene (on the front) in Ardrossan. (Lulu played there once in her early days)
The Town Hall in Saltcoats
The Ardreer Rec in Stevenston
The Bobby Jones in Ayr
The Moorings in Largs (if you were flush)
The grand Hall in Kilmarnock

But the Ritz was by far the best!!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

A warm welcome to you, Margaret. The Rec, Castle Craigs and the Ritz each were the must be dance places to be back then. I remember at the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock during the slow dances, they had a couple of older men walking amongst the dancers tapping males on the shoulder and advising them to revert to only one arm around the ladies.

But before the dancing it was into Jimmy Broon's pub nearby for a pint or two. Jimmy was a great goalkeeper, and a bit of a showman too, when he played for Kilmarnock and St. Mirren