Words we used

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Words we used

Post by Hughie »

Remember these expressions supplied by our members some time ago.
Can you add to them?

http://www.threetowners.com/words/
Richard

Re: Words we used

Post by Richard »

Hawf-wit: A stupid person. A person lacking in intelligence.
ie; you're a hawf-wit, (or half-wit).

One my grandmother always used. Some family members still say it.
Scullery: Kitchen.
ie; ben the scullery: in the kitchen.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

A scullery isnae really a kitchen - or at least its a wee room that in larger houses was used to wash dishes in or hold pots and pans. In tenaments or wee hooses with only a wee room containing a stove and a sink it was used for all cooking. That was what we had at Victoria Road and it was called the scullery to separate it from the room holding the dining table and two large recessed beds which we called the kitchen. Indeed the rolling of pastry and a lot of food preparation was done in the larger room, the scullery used to wash vegies and later dishes and to cook in. Wee Ali
Richard

Post by Richard »

Technically, that is correct. Well, almost.
But the title of this topic is the "words we used" and a lot of us referred to the kitchen as the scullery.
This terminology has always been used in large parts of Northern Ireland & Scotland as an alternative
term for kitchen. It still gets used, today, in a lot of places.
:wink:
BTW, If any of my relatives had a house big enough to have a room which contained a dining table & chairs
we would call that a dining room, jist tae be posh.
:lol:
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Well I dont think there was anything posh aboot a room that also contained two recessed double beds! :roll: And if your kitchen was less than about 7 or so feet square like oors it was a scullery - larger than that it was a kitchen - and that's how I remember anybody we knew describing them. The auld tenaments had sculleries - the new council hooses had kitchens and that's the way it was when we left in 1955. Wee Ali
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hi, all, bampot/bamstick-a bit of an idiot, bawbag-self exolanatory,f-ckwit-a person of limited intelligence, numpty- as f-ckwit. Can't think of any complimentary ones at the minute, but who knows? cheers, A.B.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

re the kitchen, I remember going to see our new council house in Hawkhill, of course it was empty, and my dad saying, 'if we had bread, we could have bread and jam, if we had jam'..for some reason we found that hilarious!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I think sculleries were where you cleaned up rather than cooked?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's correct Morag, but the clue is in the title.
:wink:
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hi, all, Another word I've just rembered is "wheen", which I'm sure you all know means a decent, but unspecified amount. A wee story to illustrate if you'll bear with me. Back in the 60's when the Monsanto nylon plant was being built at Drybridge, local labour was used with overall supervision by Americans. It came to pass that one day Harry, the electrical foreman, was in the main office dictating an order for required materials to his American super visor and having got through most of Harry's list, Harry said "what about roofing bolts and nuts", of which several thousand would be needed. The Yank asked, " how many?", to which Harry replied "aye, we'll need a wheen o'them a'right" There was a prolonged silence before our American cousin asked "Harry, how should I spell wheen?" Two nations divided by a common language or what? Cheers, A.B.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

"Po" and "Chantie" that ubiquitous piece of china that lived under the bed in tenement hooses wi' ootside or doon the close Lavvies. BTW in Australia it was referred to as a "Guzunder" - Guzunder the bed.
A derevation - "Chantie wrassler" for a self stimulator - usually applied outside of its coarser meaning to someone talking the contents of said utensil.
Wee Ali
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

When we were wee and used to ask too many questions my pampa used to say to us "Away and bile yer heid", and that was coming from was a man who named all his "Doo's" !!!