Words we used

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Words we used

Post by morag »

Think it's more the rebel thing, seems girls were attracted to who 'was not their parents!' When I worked in Germany it was common knowledge German girls would go after Black G.I's as a sort of shock value to the older generation. In the 60's it was mods, rockers and squares.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

No disrespect, but what particular word did we sometimes use there morag?

Don't you think the Mod. has a difficult enough job as it is trying to keep things on topic?

In this topic, supposed to be about about words we used in the three towns or surrounding areas, we now seem to have graduated onto German girls and black GI's. Where is it going next?
Aye, I can be cheeky at times.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

michaelm wrote:No disrespect, but what particular word did we sometimes use there morag?

Don't you think the Mod. has a difficult enough job as it is trying to keep things on topic?

In this topic, supposed to be about about words we used in the three towns or surrounding areas, we now seem to have graduated onto German girls and black GI's. Where is it going next?
Aye, I can be cheeky at times.

We used those terms, certainly in the three towns, for guys usually, the mods, nattily dressed, the rockers, bikers mainly, usually in leather and denim and the squares nice guys dressed normally. The ref to the German girls was as an adjunct to the rebel part of girls choices. I'm sorry if I confused you. :smt102
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

You didn't confuse me at all morag .. Mods, Rockers and Bikers were all commonly used terms throughout the whole of Britain at the time. Those words weren't even confined to Scotland, never mind Ayrshire or the Threetowns.
By your logic, it's the equivalent of me mentioning some obscure 'Island' somewhere and then trying to justify it's inclusion in the topic by simply saying .. "Ah well but we have an Island named Arran nearby."

I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make in regard to German girls rebel choices as that undoubtedly happens all over the world. And again, I doubt it has anything to do with this topic. :wink:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

michaelm wrote:You didn't confuse me at all morag .. Mods, Rockers and Bikers were all commonly used terms throughout the whole of Britain at the time. Those words weren't even confined to Scotland, never mind Ayrshire or the Threetowns.
By your logic, it's the equivalent of me mentioning some obscure 'Island' somewhere and then trying to justify it's inclusion in the topic by simply saying .. "Ah well but we have an Island named Arran nearby."

I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make in regard to German girls rebel choices as that undoubtedly happens all over the world. And again, I doubt it has anything to do with this topic. :wink:
It was to do with Brian's post about cowboys v Gallous and the success of getting a lumber.
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Back on topic please. We are discussing Scots words used around the three towns - tried to find the origin of gallous and came up with this :

Etymology
A distortion of gallows, used attributively.

Pronunciation
IPA(key): /ˈɡæləs/
Adjective
gallous

fit to be hanged; wicked; mischievous

Meg
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

This is the meanings I've always associated with gallous.

4 Words related to gallous

arrbee cocky cool flashy
Idiot - seeks village.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I well remember using the phrase ... "Gies a hauney up"
As youngsters, we often used it when a pal was trying to get over a high wall (or had trouble reaching the first branch of a tree for instance )

Someone would then lean against the wall and interlock the fingers of both hands together, then hold them out with palms facing upwards. The climber would then put one of his feet onto the hands, stand up, and hey presto, a human stepladder in action! :)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Michael, we called that a "punty" - gies a punty up.

Meg
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Gies a shimmy up when I was a kid.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I always said " gies a punt up" Meg,
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

For me, and also most of my pals growing up in Stevenston, a hauny up always always meant ... help me up with your hands.
Last edited by michaelm on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.