UK Election 2017

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

UK Election 2017

Post by Hughie »

A dedicated topic to discuss aspects of the forthcoming UK election.

When we talk about politics or religion or other things that we might be passionate about, the conversation can sometimes get a wee bit heated. So, please be respectful of other folks opinions. See Rule 5.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: UK Election 2017

Post by stivis »

other things that we might be passionate about
Does that mean I can rattle on about Chicago and Delta Blues?? Possibly not
If May wins it'll be hellish for Scotland , Corbyn could and should have stopped the election.
The MSPs have little say in it, No matter what Davidson ,Rennie and Dugdale imply .

For the first time since I was 18 I'm not sure I'll vote, that'll be my abstention
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

My old grandad used to say you should never waste a vote Stivis.

How could Corbyn have stopped it??

Corbyn has now announced plans for an extra four days bank holidays without thinking of the bother to teachers or parents, or cost to business.

Landed myself in quite a karfuffle this morning on facebook when I simply stated I was against extra hols. Had about 20 people on at me : younger generations though who couldn't see the bigger picture.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote:My old grandad used to say you should never waste a vote Stivis.

Corbyn has now announced plans for an extra four days bank holidays without thinking of the bother to teachers or parents, or cost to business.

Landed myself in quite a karfuffle this morning on facebook when I simply stated I was against extra hols. Had about 20 people on at me : younger generations though who couldn't see the bigger picture.
Viv I wouldn't worry too much about any of that. The man is an idealist, and sadly he has made himself unelectable. Its a real shame the Labour Party was the party for social change and did great things that were the envy of the world.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

May needed a two thirds majority to call an election as it was a fixed term parliament
There are 650 seats
She only had 330, and if Corbyn had voted against , she would not have the mandate to call an election

She would also have to face a "Vote of No Confidence" in her Government, and that would bring more trouble for a very divided right wing Tory government
however Labour abstaining gave her the two thirds
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

The Labour Party died with Neil Kinnock , Michael Foot was the last true Labour leader a man of principal ,
Kinnock was the first nu-labour,,,The "Well All right!!" calls repeatedly in 1992 and then throwing his bum into the sea, gave the idea to Smith and protege the clunking fist Broon for the late 90s

Corbyn like Farage has no clue about Scotland.

If Scotland had stuck with the Scottish labour Party that was formed in 1976,things would have been different
"The party formed on 18 January 1976 as a breakaway from the UK Labour Party, by members disaffected with the then Labour Government's failure to secure a devolved Scottish Assembly, as well as with its social and economic agenda. The formation of the SLP was led by Jim Sillars, then MP for South Ayrshire, John Robertson, then MP for Paisley and Alex Neil, the UK Labour Party's senior Scottish researcher."
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

stivis wrote:
May needed a two thirds majority to call an election as it was a fixed term parliament
There are 650 seats
She only had 330, and if Corbyn had voted against , she would not have the mandate to call an election

She would also have to face a "Vote of No Confidence" in her Government, and that would bring more trouble for a very divided right wing Tory government
however Labour abstaining gave her the two thirds
Thanks for explaining that stivis. Why did labour abstain giving Mrs May the go -ahead. Surely the state labour is presently in a snap election would not be favourable.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

The more it goes on , the more I think he's a plant,
This cuddling the Tories , Is quite unbelievable, In Scotland more so,
Corbyn's supporters are the Grassroots and the left of centre in the lines of YS , Militant , and now Momentum

The rumour is that John McDonnell is running the whole show,and Corbyn just makes a dog's dinner of it ,It's not aided by the right of centre members within the party (Tom Watson and his motley crew, of which there are many)
The logic would have been to stop the election and , pull the party together as there would have been 34 months to do so........That would have made sense
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Stivis,

I take your valid point, BUT, we're talking about politicians here. Stopping the election would have been an admission of defeat, or at least that they were scared to fight, and that is anathema to all politicians.
It was a question of being damned if you do and damned if you don't. I think they made the right decision. They have nothing to lose, and ..... who knows....
JD.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Stopping the election would have been an admission of defeat
I disagree, It would, to me, have been "we might be on our backside, but you're not walking over us"

It's the fact that Scotland is going to be wrecked by a right wing (bordering on far right)Tory government , who lack any sense of humanity and make Margaret Thatcher look reasonable, .Corbyn who never really ventures out of London,and is if you like "London in the head" by retaining that attitude the UK is never going to progress.

Note I said UK ,Scotland doesn't come in to this ( it really doesn't),And the SNP are attacking with marshmallows the same targets in both Council and the GE. It will get them nowhere save alienate the Scots who feel they have become a mild totalitarian party, presenting scrubbed up barbie dolls

Ian Hamilton said ,(I paraphrase)" he was a trouble maker, and the place needs troublemakers"

O/T I'm sure you remember the Fitzroy MacLean visitations, once ever 4 years , and the plebs touching their forelocks in awe of the great man
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

As I see it the problem for Corbyn - who has had two resounding endorsements from the grass roots members - is getting those grass roots supporters selected as candidates. I don't know how the selection process works (perhaps someone can enlighten us) but I suspect there will a constituency committee that has a final say and that these committees will be mostly staffed by the labour establishment. If he (Corbyn) cannot get his grass roots supporters selected as candidates then he has no chance of continuing as leader.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

You join the party, you say you are interested in stand as a candidate in what ever gig you want, or someone suggests you as a candidate, you go through a selection process, (vetting as the snp do or some other system)
the local branch should have a large say in this. and sitting member should more or less given a pass.
it goes up the food chain, and you get selected
Labour has much the same set-up.
the Tories and UKIP , requirement are a well fitting blackshirt (it's a joke,nearly )

You can get deselected,as happened to Nigel Don and Christian Allard prior to the 2016 Scottish election that was for nothing
McGarry and Thompson were deselected because of the pending cases although there is none at present against Thompson

BUT in the SNP's case this is not what has been happening, according to another forum he's been selecting his own people and discarding the locals.Stevenston has a pair from Largs and Ardrossan has one from Edinburgh, and the same elsewhere in the shire. and the same practise across the central belt.
there are two causes one is the middle management within the SNP, I doubt it goes to the highest level , in Ayrshire it is I'm led to believe it is Kenneth Gibson who is alleged to be causing the trouble,
Have a look at the SNP councillors that have stepped down, They are not happy bunnies